Monday, March 11, 2013

Preparations for the Trip: Let's Tie one on!




Today felt like a good day to begin organizing the trip we are going to take with  5 other friends in May.  We are headed to St. Martin for a 10 day bareboat charter with Sunsail.    Dave and I sailed there a few months ago for the first time and had a really great time.    We liked the island, the French Flair, and all of the little anchorages around the island.  Anguilla was really beautiful, too, and an easy sail from St Martin.  We did not get down to St. Barth's on that trip, so we need to go back.

We decided to ask a few of our friends to join us on the next trip.  We have found that as newer captains and first mate, it's best if we go someplace on our own before asking a crew to join us.  That way we will know what we are in for!

This time we will have two people on our boat that have never sailed before - Marty and Nikki.  We are excited to introduce them to this new experience.

Since it has been well over a year since our last group trip and because we have some new crew members, I thought I would send out an email today with instructions on tying some of the knots we often use while sailing.

The knots I suggested everyone learn are:


Cleat Hitch: (may be difficult to practice without a cleat, but take a look at how a good one looks).  This knot is used for various things, such as tying the dinghy to the boat, securing a mooring harness.
http://watercraft.wonderhowto.com/how-to/tie-cleat-knot-easily-250534/

Clove Hitch:  This knot is used for tying fenders to the boat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aewgmUeHpuE


Bowline: A secure loop knot used for various things, such as man overboard.
http://www.animatedknots.com/bowline/index.php?Categ=boating&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Round Turn and two half hitches: One of the many knots that can be used to secure a boat or dinghy to a piling:
http://www.animatedknots.com/roundturn/index.php


I actually enjoy learning how to tie knots.  I think it's one of the fun parts of sailing.  I hope the rest of the crew will agree.

The most problematic knot for me is the darned cleat hitch.  I can get it perfectly right about 3/4 of the time, but sometimes it is just impossible.    I wish I had a cleat mounted to a board so I could practice.  They don't sell them at Home Depot here in Colorado, and I've searched online but they are going for $40-$70 (and more!)

I am also beginning to think about the menu for our trip.  More on that later!














No comments:

Post a Comment