Monday, October 14, 2013

Starting Tomorrow - Eat Vegan on $4 a Day

After a nice hike in the mountains dripping with golden, red and green aspens we went to the grocery store to buy groceries for our $4 / day experiment.   I am following the menu plan in the book.  I bought only for the first 4 days because I didn't want the vegetables to go bad. Here is what we bought:


Not too bad!  Our bill $64, which was more than the $4 x 2 people x 4 day budget of 32, but we did buy organic and we did buy a few items that will provide for many meals in the future.  Each day I will calculate the total for each serving to see how close we come to $4 per day.

I have also calculated the nutritional value of the sample 1-week plan.  It provides 1175 calories per day, which is about 800 calories below what is recommended for someone of my age and activity level. My next post will cover the nutritional analysis in more detail.





No comments:

Post a Comment